Sunday, May 23, 2010

Great Recipe

There has been a recipe called Amatriciana on my menu for weeks now and I kept finding excuses not to make it because I was scared it wouldn't turn out well. Today though we had no dinner plans and I knew I shouldn't let all the fresh basel go to waste so I sucked it up and finally made it. By the time I finished making it, I was so excited to try it and it didn't let me down. This has probably been my favorite homemade meal in a long time and it only took a half hour to make.

Ingredients

4 slices bacon, diced
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 (14.5 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
1 pound linguine pasta, uncooked
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Directions

1.Cook diced bacon in a large saucepan over medium high heat until crisp, about 5 minutes. Drain all but 2 tablespoons of drippings from the pan.

2.Add onions, and cook over medium heat about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic and red pepper flakes; cook 30 seconds. Add canned tomatoes, undrained; simmer 10 minutes, breaking up tomatoes.

3.Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large pot of 4 quarts boiling salted water until al dente. Drain.

4.Stir basil into the sauce, and then toss with cooked pasta. Serve with grated Parmesan cheese.
 
The changes I made to it were using garlic diced tomatoes instead of the stewed tomatoes and I put the parmesan in near the end of simmering so that it could melt. I added extra red pepper and my husband and I both added hot sauce as we like hot sauce in everything but of course that doesn't work for everyone.
 
I got the recipe here!

No comments:

Post a Comment