Monday, March 14, 2011

Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior

I am a huge fan of Criminal Minds and though I was not super excited about a spin-off of it, I thought I would give the new show a try. Try it I did and the show gets a solid C from me. As to be expected, the original Criminal Minds blows it out of the water.

The story aspect is good. While many people think that there is nothing new in crime television, I disagree, and the handful of episodes released so far have had original enough material. Some a bit too gruesome for me but that's to be expected.

My real problem with the show is the casting. The casting is HORRRIBBLLEEE!!!! One of the things that makes the original Criminal Minds so great is that the cast works well together. They are all good enough actors, their character's quirks shine through, and you begin to care for them on some level.

But the characters in this new show are not like that at all. There are a few characters I could see myself liking, but together as a whole, they do nothing for the show. They are so boring and unoriginal.

My 3 main problems with the casting:


I just can't get over the fact that Forest Whitaker is the head honcho. I would rather have someone less famous. Maybe he will grow on me but I still wish they had chosen someone else. 




I will admit upfront that I'm not a fan of Janeane Garofalo. I don't agree with much that comes out of her mouth these days. But I did like her character in 24 well enough so I know I am not completely biased against her acting. With that said, I think she is wrong for this show. It may just be her character that is lame but something about her doesn't fit this show at all. I just want to gag every time she says something.




I love Kirsten Vangsness but they shouldn't have recycled her. She fits into the original Criminal Minds so well and I wish they would have left it at that. She doesn't work as well with the cast of Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior and it makes me sad.

 I will be very upset if they try and make any more Criminal Minds spin-offs. At the very least CBS, I ask that you not recycle the show as much as you did with CSI. When Criminal Minds gets old, just retire the show and move on.


No comments:

Post a Comment