Monday, February 14, 2011

Pot Roast Recipe

I am not the biggest fan of post roast but I do like having it every once in a while. The following recipe inspired me to try and cook my first roast. It turned out perfect and made even better leftovers. I have been avoiding blogging about this recipe because of a horrible experience I had a month ago, but because that experience had nothing to do with the taste of the roast, I have decided I should finally share.

Click Here for the original recipe.

Here are the adaptions I made:

I used:

about a 2 lb roast.

2 packages dried soup mix - I think you can get by with 1 but I just used 2 anyways. Extra flavor. But I think you would want to only go with one if you don't like a strong onion flavor.

Use chicken stock rather than water.

2 cans cream of mushroom soup -if I remember correctly, I still used both cans despite my small roast. It made for lots of gravy. Yum!
I cooked the meat for 2 hours on high and 4.20 hours on low in the slow cooker. You could just add additional time and cook it on slow the whole time.


Tips:

Before putting the beef in the slow cooker with all of the above ingredients, coat the meat with a mixture of 1/4 cup flour, 1 tbsp garlic salt, and 1 tbsp black pepper. Then sear all sides of the meat in a skillet with some olive oil. This helps lock the flavor in.

Don't cut the roast right away. Let it sit a bit to keep the juices in.

Consider cooking it the night before you serve it. This lets the flavors really saturate the meat.

You can also add garlic, rosemary, thyme, and Nature's Seasoning, red potatoes, carrots, and/or onions.

I would hold off on the vegetables until the last hour and a half or so, to prevent them from getting too soft and soggy.


Maybe I will tell you about my awful experience later on in the week. For now, I hope you enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment