Wednesday, January 5, 2011

December 21st - Lunar Eclipse

 

I was watching this random and rather dumb Christmas movie on TV one night about this separated couple who were trying to save what was left of their marriage. In the movie, they kept referring to this one night that they randomly got up in the middle of the night and roamed the streets. They talked about how they never did random things that like anymore. It made me reflect on my own life and how Jon and I have felt like we don't often do random things for fun anymore. It's as if it won't happen if it's not planned out ahead of time.

I was on facebook late one Monday night when I found out that early that next Tuesday morning there was suppose to be a lunar eclipse. That night I decided that I was going to do something out of the ordinary and I purposefully set my alarm for 3 a.m. When it went off, I took a few moments to figure out why it went off so early, and then jumped out of bed, remembering that I had sworn I would see the eclipse. So I went outside and saw something I had never seen before. And while it wasn't life changing, it was still very cool to see.

If you hadn't heard, below are the reasons that particular Lunar Eclipse was important (at least according to Wikipedia that is):

The eclipse of December 2010 was the first total lunar eclipse in almost three and a half years, since the February 2008 lunar eclipse.

The eclipse was the first total lunar eclipse to occur on the day of the Northern Winter Solstice (Southern Summer Solstice) since 1638, and only the second in the Common Era 

P.S. I know that I am late and that news of this eclipse already made its rounds. I actually wrote this post the day after I saw it but just never got it posted. My bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment