Sunday, January 23, 2011

I Would Like It To Be Known....

Church this week was Stake Conference. This meant a Saturday evening session for the adults and a Sunday morning session for all families. There were some stories and thoughts that really stood out to me that I would like to share.

Sunday session wasn't amazing for me. There were too many noisy kids in the room that I had to filter out to hear the speakers. There is one thought though that I loved. The issues we face in life are not as important as what we become because of these issues.  I have been struggling a bit lately with things. Some issues I have easily figured out why they are bothering me, others I can't. All of which, I am at a stand still on how to deal with them. But this made me realize that perhaps I just need to refocus my mind. And rather than spend my time feeling like I have no clue what to do, or how to do it, I need to think of how I can better myself through these trials. I don't want to let these trials or burdens get me down and make me lose my way.

The Saturday night session was amazing. I was having a hard time focusing because I had some food that was cooking at home and I was a bit worried about it. But, thankfully, the session was so amazing that more stood out to me than normal. And while I would share it all if I could, I would like to tell the one or two stories that really impacted me.

I don't know the ladies name or where she is from, but she was visiting and was asked to bear her testimony to us. She told us how she got a job as a lowly secretary in the White House after she graduated college. She was asked to record some exit interviews that were being given. At the end of one, the person giving the interviews asked "Is there anything else you would like to tell us." The man answered back, "Yes. I would like it to be known that I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints." It really surprised this young lady as she was a member too. When she got home and told her dad, her dad said she should call the man and let him know that the person recording the interview was also a member of the same church. So she made the call. And the man said that he felt it was important that it always be known of what church he was a member. This boldness of his really stood out to her. A while later she was in a training session at the White House for, what I will refer to as, the Women's Rights Legislation. The church had come out with, what some would call, a surprising stance on this legislation and someone in the training asked why. The person doing with training said she was not Mormon and she wasn't sure why The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints had taken such a stance. She then asked if anybody in the room was Mormon. The young lady remembered what the man had said during his exit interview, and finally forced herself to stand up and say she was. And though it has not always been easy, she has tried to always stand up for her church and for what she believes.

That man that so heavily impacted her while giving the exit interview was non other than Jon Huntsman. The Huntsmans are a family of charity, kindness, and faith. A family who leads by example.

I write this blog because of that story. Because I no longer want to hide my faith. Because I want it to always be known that I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I want to give all I have to the church.

There were a few stories told of people who lost so much because they joined the church, including friends and jobs. Then there was another story about a guy who left a pass along card to a taxi cab driver in New York. A few months later he got a call from that driver, asking him to come up and baptize him in to the church.

How could I ever be so strong, and have such an impact, if I hide my faith. It will be tough for me, but I pray that I can become stronger and better in this.

No comments:

Post a Comment