Sunday, April 21, 2013

What I Have Been Up To Lately

-Being sick/being pregnant.  Sometimes it's hard to tell which is which.

-Watching Murdoch Mysteries on Netflix.  I was a bit unsure about this show at first but was really in the mood for a good mystery movie or series.  I have since fallen in love with it and need to find a way to watch season 4 and beyond.   Why is every random Canadian series I watch so good?

-Apartment/condo hunting.  So not fun anywhere, but especially not fun in Hawaii.  We can't afford to rent a modest size house here, so we have to spend a lot of money to rent a pretty darn small space, just as if we lived in a huge city.  Saturday was the first day we had any real success.  But then the next step is getting approved to rent.  Rentals go super fast here and every place has a billion potential renters that want it.  So we can't sit on our bum if we even half like a place.  This game is so not for me.  Luckily we still have a month until we are homeless.

-We did fit in some much needed beach time on Saturday.  In fact, we hit the beach up twice in one day.  Major score for us.  Fresh air is so beneficial but anything outdoors seems like too much work right now so it was really nice to enjoy the outdoors but still be able to relax.  Here are a few pictures to prove we went:






Oh! So last week we went one weekday evening just to relax on the beach.  I really needed fresh air after being cooped up sick all week but didn't think I was up for a walk.  I was quite uncomfortable and almost regretted the decision until we were majorly blessed with a very unexpected event- seeing a whale for the first time.  Not sure why the whale was so close to land that evening but we will take what we can get.  It really was the coolest experience ever.  The hubby might be slightly obsessed now.  I think a whale watching tour is going to have to happen next year.

-We have been enjoying the following two recipes:

The Pioneer Woman  Edna Mae's Sour Cream Pancakes :  Joy of Cooking is my go to book for basic breakfast food but it has been in storage (can't wait to get it back soon) so I have had to resort to finding recipes online.  This is the first pancake recipe I have actually liked.  It just makes a basic tasting pancake but something about it is so perfect.  We use wheat flour instead of white, and this last time I may have used both sour cream and yogurt to get the required 1 cup, but they were still uber delicious.

Honey, What's Cooking?  Black Bean Enchilada Pasta :  This recipe saved our dinner the other night.  My dinner planning majorly failed this week in every way,  I hadn't thawed any meat, and I was at a complete loss over what I could cook for dinner.  I clicked on this link that evening just to see what it was and why I had noted it.  And it just so happened I had all of the important ingredients and it seemed like a pretty adaptable recipe.  I didn't expect much but knew Jon would probably enjoy it, at least more so than the dinner I attempted the night before.  We both ended up loving it, even as leftovers, and it was pretty darn easy to make.  Changes I made: penne pasta instead of the shells; didn't have  fresh jalapenos or cilantro; didn't follow the ingredient brands.  We have tried other enchilada pastas and this is by far the best one yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment