Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Short Thought Before Bed

I think a question often asked or often thought by those that pray, is if their prayers are being answered. Sometimes I feel that when I offer a prayer it either isn't being answered or the opposite thing of what I wanted is given to me. Sometimes it seemed to happen so much that I just stopped asking for things I really wanted. Sad but true. Well as I have studied prayer specifically and the gospel in general, I have learned a few valuable things. These are not profound or something you probably haven't heard already but I wanted to share anyways.

First one must have faith. If you question it, even if its because it was not answered last time, you are not asking with the right frame of mind. Enos 1: 15 states
"Wherefore, I know that the Lord God was able to preserve our records, I cried unto him continually, for he had said unto me: Whatsoever thing ye shall ask in faith, believing that ye shall receive in the name of Christ, ye shall receive it."
You must have faith but that is not enough. 1st Nephi 15:11 states
"Do ye not remember the things which the Lord hath said?—If ye will not harden your hearts, and ask me in faith, believing that ye shall receive, with diligence in keeping my commandments, surely these things shall be made known unto you.”
We must also do our part. If we ask for help with something, he won't do it all for you. If you don't do what you can, he wont do what he can.

I love this quote by Elder Richard G. Scott of the Quorum of the Twelve.
“If you seek His help, be sure your life is clean, your motives are worthy, and you’re willing to do what He asks—for He will answer your prayers. … He loves you perfectly and wants to help you” (Ensign, Nov. 1989, 32).
We must have faith, do our part, be worthy of his help, and be open to do what he asks. That's another key thing so let me reiterate it. We must be open to do what he asks of us or tells us to do. And he will know if we are not willing.

Having faith is hard sometimes. Doing what we need to is hard sometimes. Being open to answers is hard sometimes. But remember that we can also pray for the faith needed, pray for the motivation we need to do our part, pray that we will become open to the answers given. The Lord knows us best and knows what we can and can not do. Don't forget that he is always willing to help us but he can not do everything for us or we will never develop emotionally or spiritually.

I sometimes struggle with prayer but I know that the more I pray and the more I study the gospel the more effective my prayers will be. And that as long as I continue in the right mindset, having faith in our Lord and Savior, and making myself open to his help, he will be there for me and answer my prayers in the best way possible.

And to end this with just a bit of humor scroll down on this posting tell you reach Boldtext Pew Bible: King James Version. I'm repenting now for showing you this, but I just read it and thought it was too perfect after what I wrote. And just so you know, the Bible is not totally faulty but I am sure Jed already knows that.

No comments:

Post a Comment