Friday, October 22, 2010

Is It Possible for Nothing to Exist?

My husband and I had a half hour debate about that question. Can nothing exist? If the world, the universe, and everything else out there in space, didn't exist, what would there be? Can you imagine "nothing?" Is "nothing" even possible?

My husband claims it is possible and he justifies it using math. But I can't comprehend what he is trying to explain to me and thus I don't believe him. I claim it is not possible but it could be that my weak little mind just can't comprehend it. How can you have nothing without there being something (sort of reminds me of philosophy class)? And how can something form out of nothing? If a universe was made because of energy, isn't energy something? How can there ever be nothing? I can't even imagine it. But then, didn't there have to be a beginning, a point where there was nothing? So much to think about. It boggles my mind.

What do you think? It is possible or impossible for nothing to exist.

Need help deciding:

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=53667
http://forums.philosophyforums.com/threads/does-nothing-exist-28678.html

1 comment:

  1. ... a sign you have too much time on your hands, haha.

    ReplyDelete